Tobacco – Bad News in Any Form
Substance abuse, especially tobacco use, has dangers your child should be aware of. For instance:
- Smokers are about twice as likely to lose their teeth as non-smokers, as well as need root canal treatment.
- Smoking increases risk of mouth pain, cavities, and gum recession.
- In as little as three to four months, smokeless tobacco use can cause periodontal disease and produce lesions called leukoplakias.
- Tobacco reduces the body’s ability to fight infection, including in the mouth and gums.
- Smoking also limits the growth of blood vessels which slows the healing of gum tissue after oral surgery or injury.
- Tobacco of any kind is one of the most common risk factors for developing oral cancer.